Tuesday, January 26, 2010

20 Years Ago...

Wow. I can't even believe it was 20 years ago today that my little brother Luke was born. He was the first boy in our family and we were so excited that he was here! But God chose to keep him here for only a few days. He passed away 3 days later on Jan 29.

I was just telling someone the other day about Luke and the day he was born. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was on a Friday and I was in the 5th grade. As with most Fridays in elementary school, it was spelling test day. We were sitting in class and Ms Gorham was giving us our spelling test when the school secretary walked in and gave her a small pink note. I didn't pay much attention to it, other than I was patiently waiting to hear from my dad about the baby being born. (Side note, when we woke up that morning, Gma Howard was there and Sue and Dad were at the hospital. It was a fun way to wake up!)Anyway, Ms Gorham kept on giving us the test and just walked by my desk and placed this pink note on my desk. At the bottom of the While You Were Out note were the most beautiful words I've ever read... IT'S A BOY!!!! I was so excited I started crying! Everyone started looking at me and Ms Gorham stopped the test and said, "Everything is ok, Lauren just found out she has a new baby brother!!" I was pretty cool!

I probably wont post anything about the day he died, because it's not something I want to think about. That, and I dont remember as much about that day.

So, Baby Luke, you may not be here on earth with us any more, but that doesn't mean you're not here with us. I love you and think about you often and what our life would be like if you were still here. I can't wait until I get to heaven and I get to see you again! You were the first brother I ever had and I love you very much!!

And for those of you reading this who have kids or younger brothers and sisters, give them a kiss and cherish your time with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment